Saturday, March 31, 2012

Where's Your I.D.?


Dear Diary, 31 March 2012

Where's your I.D.?

Today, what’s the big scare when somebody steals your wallet? Not that your cash is gone, although that is concerning, too. The biggest issue is identity theft. People steal other people’s place in the world, simply by taking a few pieces of plastic. On TV, people cry and solemnly tell of how their lives were turned upside down by this kind of theft. Overall, the commercial industry is trying to say, “without your I.D., you don’t have a life.” Well how flimsy is that? I mean, all I have to do is lose my driver’s license and debit card, and then my life is ruined?



Perhaps it isn’t as dramatic in reality as they portray it on TV, but there are other parts of life that revolve around this same concept. What if my house burned down? What if my best friend moved away? What if I lost my writing arm? What if one of my parents got cancer? What if, what if, what if. The solution is not in purchasing any kind of insurance that promises to guard against disaster because disaster always finds a way to strike, no matter what measures are taken to prevent it. Instead, I should find something else to vest my person in.


Last night, my youth pastor was talking about identity. He shed light on the fact that identity is the only thing that we have that is truly ours. Of course, as Christians we have surrendered our identities to Christ, but still, we have a say in how we allow our identity to form, even as Christians. If we do not give it to Jesus, then we continue to hold on to it, keeping from reaching its ultimate potential. The fashion world vies for our loyalty. “Come down this path,” they say, without actually saying it at all, “We will make you feel better about yourself.” And like a blind sheep, I follow the voices.


Thinking about who you really are seems a bit cliché on the surface, but underneath, it is actually deep and thought provoking idea. What things define you? Your parents? I would venture to say that many teenagers, including myself, are more influenced by themselves than their parents – or rather their impulse to be independent from their parents. How about friends? They can have an influential sway in your stance. Clothes? Technology? Laziness? Emptiness?


Try to describe yourself. For some, this is easy. Jot down a few conceited remarks and you’re done. But look a little closer. Are these things really true, or are they the reality that you want? Finding who you are requires more. Some people may find this hard, like me. I think about the things I want to do, the things I love. My family, my friends, writing, music. Still, what a pathetic identity. It appears to be vested in all material things, and even people can be counted as "material" since, let's face it, people don’t last forever. If you’re a believer, then all your fellow believers will someday live with you forever, but people die, people move, people have fights and split apart. Not saying that this will happen to everyone you know – sheesh, I sure hope not! But there has to be a deeper identity than just “I love my friends.”

What things are affected by our identities? In short, the way we look at the world. So examine the way you look at the world. How do you see things? What colors, what perspectives, filter through your vision? Ask yourself questions you never thought to ask before. Ask the big question WHY. Without a reason, there is no purpose. Find your reason for things, and it will suddenly become so much clearer. Why do I like this song? Why did I buy that t-shirt? Why don’t I clean my room? Why do I love this person? Why do I worry what people think about me?

With a transparent purpose and a clearly defined identity, life is suddenly free. The chains are thrown off, and we are allowed to actually live life. To appreciate things, and to know why we appreciate them. It isn’t a permanent condition, however. The process of finding ourselves is always in pursuit because we are always changing. For a Christian, you should be constantly changing in your relation to the world in accordance with your relationship with Jesus. For teenagers, your stances are just forming, so there’s no telling if that one thing you believed all your life will still influence you in the future. Ask yourself questions – you may be surprised how little you and yourself talk.

Sources:
Obviously, I have an affinity for manga art right now.
1
2
3
4
5
6
7

1 comment:

  1. I can't believe you wrote all this. I think about things like this all the time, but unlike you, I can never put my deepest feelings into words. This is so amazing!
    And yes, if you describe yourself, you'd say something like, pretty, smart, and funny, popular. And you're right. Mostly they are what YOU want to be, not what you really are (which is alot more complex than a few words)

    -A

    ReplyDelete