Standing in front of the microwave, wishing that corn dog
would cook faster.
Willing your phone to buzz while waiting for a text.
Cursing the guy in front of you who wouldn’t brave the
yellow light.
What do all of these scenarios have in common besides being
things that I do on a regular basis? They all involve waiting. One of the most boring things in the world is waiting. We
don’t want to delay our gratification. We want things when we want them, and if
there’s going to be a line, we go to McDonalds. Life on the fast track…that’s
how I would describe my days sometimes. It’s like I’m always running towards…something.
Ultimate satisfaction? The pinnacle of contentedness?
![]() |
| source |
Ironic how the thing that benefits us most is something we
uniformly despise. When we were younger, my brother and I hated it when my mom
would use her stock saying: “Waiting builds character.” Nobody wants to hear
that, but unfortunately it’s true.
In his book, “Mere Christianity”, CS Lewis talks about the
importance of temperance. “Going the right length and no further,” is how he
succinctly defines the term that we often associate exclusively with alcohol
consumption. In reality, this word can be applied to anything else in our lives
that begins to consume us. In the Bible, it talks of idols. While our society
today doesn’t often erect statues for the masses to worship as in the days of
King Nebuchadnezzar, there are many things to which this concept of “temperance”
should be applied. For some it may be food, others relationships, still others
video games or movies, but it all depends on the person and the amount in which
these things are consumed.
![]() |
| source |
Despite the motto of the world to do whatever feels right,
emotions can be deceiving. They can lead us down paths that satisfy our sinful
desires rather than determine the right path for us to travel. Like right now
at this moment, my desire is to consume mass quantities of Cookie Butter (if
you haven’t had it, you have not lived). However, the logical, more
health-conscious side of me knows that doing that wouldn’t be good for me.
Sometimes it’s really hard to not go right after what you
want. If something feels right, the natural impulse is to jump in with both
feet. The Lord makes it clear though that timing is key. Proverbs 12:18 says, “Reckless
words pierce like a sword, but the tongue of the wise brings healing.” In the
chapter before it, verse 12 says, “A man who lacks judgment derides his
neighbor, but a man of understanding holds his tongue.” There are right and
wrong times for everything, as Ecclesiastes 3 clearly states, and part of
wisdom is being able to discern between them.
![]() |
| source |
If the timing isn’t right for something, maybe it’s because I’m
not ready yet. The Lord’s ways are perfect, and He knows what I will say and what
I will do before I know myself. He knows my innermost thoughts and holds the
desires of my hearts in His hand. His promise to me (and to you!), sealed by
the sacrifice of His Son, is that my life will be fulfilled for my own good. Even
if I can’t see exactly how things will play out, knowing that He is in control
reassures me that everything will be alright. Just another opportunity to put
trust in Him. ♥



No comments:
Post a Comment