Wednesday, May 18, 2011

May 18, 2011 (Facing a Scary Thing - God Answers)

Dear Diary,      May 18, 2011     (Facing a Scary Thing - God Answers)

What a great day it’s been. I was tired, but my brother and family and friends made it yet another day to remember, like everyday can be. Isn’t it neat that even the most crazy of days, when you literally jump out of bed and into the shower within a matter of seconds, can become a fantastic, resplendent day? Mine began a little hectic. If you didn’t guess already, I really did jump out of bed and into the shower this morning. I didn’t really get all of the schoolwork done that I had scheduled, but I’m not really behind so I’m not worried about it. It was just a chill morning. Well, at least it was in between running around trying to finish school and get ready to go somewhere.
(Facing A SCARY THING!!)
My friends this school year have been going to a speech class. At first I was like “A speech class??” I did not expect for them to like it. Well, shock, shock, they did. I thought about it a lot. See, my life, although while living it seems to be chockfull of activities, is basically redundant. (Not everyday is like today was…I’ll write about that in a minute :p) I wanted to commit to something that would challenge me. My brother’s Civil Air Patrol thing sounded a bit extreme and nothing better came to mind, so I began to consider this speech class. Talking to people one on one isn’t really hard for me unless I’m super tired and this strange thing happens to me where I suddenly CAN NOT SMILE and have to force this totally fake one. But anyway…I gave a speech once in my life and let me tell you, it did not encourage my decisions to try this speech class. It was awful. I got so nervous. Listening to those kids up there, my friend included, some of that nervousness faded away because I could tell I wasn’t the only one who was really nervous. Heck, I wasn’t even speaking and I had butterflies! Everyone was nice and normal, so I believe I’m going to like it.
This longing for something daredevilish to do has been there awhile. I’m not saying that joining a speech class is something people will drop their jaws at say “wow” but it is something daring, in a way. Anxiety is an issue with me, and public speaking makes me anxious and nervous, but I want to fight it, not give in to it. Another thing, speech class will help me with regular day to day talking as well. Pronunciations, getting my thoughts out of my mouth without messing them up. Happens to me every single day. And I hate saying “like” all the time!!
(Random, Amazing…OK I’m Going to Say It…Totally Cute Guy)
So I’m eating dinner outside by my friends’ pool, right? Suddenly, her mom comes hurrying out beckoning to us. “Come in here, you’ve got to see this.” We all rushed after her. Much to our surprise, there at their piano, hammering out an incredible melody, was this…bed mover guy. At first I was like “And why is the guy who delivered your bed playing the piano…?” But when I really checked him out (I did NOT mean it like that)…OK fine, when I really listened…and saw what he looked like…he was very good. His mom had to prompt him, but he ended up playing the Star Wars theme as well, which was equally amazing. As soon as he and his parents (they were the ones who owned this furniture business apparently) had gone, we jumped on YouTube and found his videos and his website. It would be cruel to not reveal who he is, so I’ll go ahead and do it. George Argel. When he’s all famous and everything, I will remember that he was right there in front of me playing Star Wars because I asked him to! How cool is that. Just another day hanging out with my friends.
(My Friends *smiley face*)
I’ll just touch up on this real quick since I need to be shoving off to bed. My friends are seriously awesome. All my really good friends are really close and they’re just…awesome. The way we all help each other, and talk about stuff that I used to think I would never communicate with another person outside my family. It’s just really cool. One family in particular we’ve grown so close to over the past two years. They are the neatest people, really. I thank God all the time that I’m so privileged to know them and be an official unofficial part of their family.
(God Answers)
One of the most amazing things about my friends is that my closest ones came into my life just when I needed them to. I was going through a seriously depressing time in my life around twelve years old. My older friends had trickled down and I didn’t see as much of them and making new friends was becoming increasingly harder (why does that happen when people get older?). My parents encouraged me to pray about it so, without any real expectations, I did. Wow, I never saw what was coming after that. Pretty soon, my mom lugged my bro and I out to this field day thing with a new home school group we had joined. We didn’t want to go simply because the letters P and E were involved and there had been some less than positive P.E. days in our past. It turned out to be pretty fun, however, and when the games were over I found myself standing on this hill watching little kids roll down and waiting for my mom to come back from the restroom. There was a girl, about my age, watching her brothers go down the hill a few feet away. I thought “What the heck, I’ll say hi.” So – I remember this so well – I said, “So, do you know what’s going on here?” That was all. We got to talking and we found out we both played softball. Within the next month we were both on the same team and now she is one of my best friends ever. Through her, I met my other two homies, and through that home school group, the same one my mom had to drag me into, I met several other incredible friends. God does work in mysterious ways. You can never tell when He’s going to complete change your life. Back in those days, I never would have guess that mine would be filled with so much joy and love and laughter as it is now. Sometimes you’ve got to just pray. God’s going to answer.

2 comments:

  1. lol! I'm glad you had a resplendent day. I'm positive you'll do great in speech class. if it makes you feel any better, it won't be at that church. It'll be at the lady's house, which isn't as intimidating as that huge room.
    Haha, it was a crazy day! And that guy was super cute :)
    I know exactly how you feel with the friends thing. That happened to me when I was around the same age :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Average teenage girl who is completely awesome! I heard a quote today by John Piper that went something like this: "sink your keel deep in the revealed will of God and unfurl your sails to the wind of the Spirit." Your foundation has been laid and it's time to fling open your sails. God is going to use you "average girl", correction...He already is using you!

    ReplyDelete