Dear Diary, 23 October 2011
Today I got the opportunity to hang out with my family, something I have not done in a long while. It is easy to be swept up in the frenzy of school, household responsibilities, friends, church, and other activities so that I forget that spending time with family should be a priority.
My almost-seven-year old cousin had his birthday party today. Watching him and his sister and brother grow up has been...bitter-sweet. I remember when Vash was little and couldn't pronounce his "L's" for the life of him. I remember when Raye used to grasp onto my earlobe, her variant of thumb-sucking. I remember when Jack, the quiet one (or at least he used to be!) would sit silently in a chair, rocking back and forth while sucking his two middle fingers.
In another month, Raye will be ten-years old. She's already talking about getting a cell-phone and asking me advice about boyfriends (oh my gosh!!). Life has already begun to take its hold on her. Pretty soon, she'll be out making her own decisions and forming her own future. It's scary for me to think, because I love her so much. All that's standing between her and a life-long regret is one decision.
That's why I'm always praying for them. In the end, God is the only one who will be able to help her - and the boys - get through life. I know that because it's true for me!! I pray that they will someday have a real relationship with Jesus, separate from the Bible stories about the big boat and the man-eating fish they've heard at Sunday School. A deep faith based on trust in the unseen. No, it's not easy. It's actually very hard to get passed the fact that God doesn't audibly speak as He did to Moses and Abraham. But He does still speak: through His Word and through our hearts.
But I'm not really worried. Raye may be a ten, but she is one of the most level-headed people I know. Plus, even if she doesn't understand quite how much, I know God is watching out her and He loves her more than I, her Daddy, her Mommy, or anyone ever could. For that, and for the three of them, I am extremely thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment