Dear Diary, 7 May 2012
There was a girl named Annie...
"Annie"
There was a girl named Annie, she had a very pretty face
And not the way you think so let me see if I can try to explain it
She had a smile that could light up the room and if she moved it'd be moving in you
But she wasn't like a magazine, she was just plain Jane and her name was Annie
She never looked in the mirror, she never liked what she would see
And even if I tried to tell her, she never listened to a word I'd say
She always wanted what she never had, but never had what she needed so badly
Someone telling her she was fine and that's not right and it's why I'm saying
Annie don't be shy here, Annie don't just lie there, looks don't make the world go round but it comes around
Annie don't be shy here, Annie please don't cry here, I always have to stop myself
Cause you're beautiful
I didn't know if I could tell her, I didn't know if I could make her see
She didn't need to find her beauty, she didn't need to find a way to show me
They took her moments of feeling alive and made them moments of dying inside
She needed someone to scream her name, to take her pain and it's why I'm screaming
Annie don't be shy here, Annie don't just lie there, looks don't make the world go round but it comes around
Annie don't be shy here, Annie please don't cry here, I always have to stop myself
Cause you're beautiful
And Annie you are the one sight my eyes never tire of, it's like I cannot get enough of you
Annie you are the one song left in my symphony, like you were made for me
Annie don't be shy here, Annie don't just lie there, looks don't make the world go round but it comes around
Annie don't be shy here, Annie please don't cry here, I always have to stop myself
Cause you're beautiful
And not the way you think so let me see if I can try to explain it
She had a smile that could light up the room and if she moved it'd be moving in you
But she wasn't like a magazine, she was just plain Jane and her name was Annie
She never looked in the mirror, she never liked what she would see
And even if I tried to tell her, she never listened to a word I'd say
She always wanted what she never had, but never had what she needed so badly
Someone telling her she was fine and that's not right and it's why I'm saying
Annie don't be shy here, Annie don't just lie there, looks don't make the world go round but it comes around
Annie don't be shy here, Annie please don't cry here, I always have to stop myself
Cause you're beautiful
I didn't know if I could tell her, I didn't know if I could make her see
She didn't need to find her beauty, she didn't need to find a way to show me
They took her moments of feeling alive and made them moments of dying inside
She needed someone to scream her name, to take her pain and it's why I'm screaming
Annie don't be shy here, Annie don't just lie there, looks don't make the world go round but it comes around
Annie don't be shy here, Annie please don't cry here, I always have to stop myself
Cause you're beautiful
And Annie you are the one sight my eyes never tire of, it's like I cannot get enough of you
Annie you are the one song left in my symphony, like you were made for me
Annie don't be shy here, Annie don't just lie there, looks don't make the world go round but it comes around
Annie don't be shy here, Annie please don't cry here, I always have to stop myself
Cause you're beautiful
~
How many guys talk to girls like this? How many boyfriends look at their girlfriends and tell them that they are beautiful as is.
One Direction's song What Makes Your Beautiful has the same affect. Seeing what's on the inside, not just the outside.
"Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised." (Proverbs 31:30)
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." (1 Peter 3:3-4)
A common misconception stems from misinterpretation of this last verse. It doesn't mean to not wear makeup or jewelry or to braid your hair, because that's just ridiculous. Rather, it means don't be defined by what you look like. Don't draw your worth from what you see in the mirror, because it will always disappoint you. And if it doesn't, then it won't last. "The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8). This life is temporary, and so is everything else that shows on the surface. The stuff on the inside, the thoughts and questions, loves, ambitions, and motivations are eternal. They'll follow us even past death.
What that guy liked about Annie was who she truly was; he loved her heart. He didn't care about how pretty she was, but the depth of his love for her allowed for him to see her real self...and he thought she was beautiful.
A common misconception stems from misinterpretation of this last verse. It doesn't mean to not wear makeup or jewelry or to braid your hair, because that's just ridiculous. Rather, it means don't be defined by what you look like. Don't draw your worth from what you see in the mirror, because it will always disappoint you. And if it doesn't, then it won't last. "The grass withers and the flowers fall, but the word of our God stands forever." (Isaiah 40:8). This life is temporary, and so is everything else that shows on the surface. The stuff on the inside, the thoughts and questions, loves, ambitions, and motivations are eternal. They'll follow us even past death.
What that guy liked about Annie was who she truly was; he loved her heart. He didn't care about how pretty she was, but the depth of his love for her allowed for him to see her real self...and he thought she was beautiful.
![]() |
| source |


No comments:
Post a Comment