Dear Diary, 28 May 2012
To save a life...
To save a life...
Ever feel like there’s something so much greater that you
should be doing?
Something that could drastically change another person’s
life?
I mean, what are we here for anyway? To have a good time? To
not screw it up? To be successful? I don’t think so. We’re here to be a light
in the dark world. To represent a greater
force at work.
But how? How am I supposed to do that?
Lots of people are hurting, and many are suffering because
they don’t have a wonderful a life as I do. I get frustrated with people in
politics for not seeing things that I think are obious, but what if they feel
the same way about me? What if I’m the one not seeing?
I have so much, and yet I get mad at people for not giving
away their surplus. Well, what about
mine? I do the very same thing!
What makes me angry is that this whole concept has become so
cliché.
The good Christian teen hangs her head ruefully, nodding
in agreement as the youth pastor rants on about being a living ministry. I’ve
heard it a thousand times, and still I duck out of awkward situations. When
there could be a lull in the conversation, I hightail it out of there. If I
can’t think of something to say, if I’m afraid of tripping over my words (as so
often I do), I just don’t go there.
Mankind has an inferiority complex.
All of us forget that we’re all in the same boat.
That perfect girl, that untouchable guy, they’ve sinned just
as much as anyone else, and they need Jesus just as much as I do. So what if they think I’m a loser. If I’m not giving love away, that’s just what I am.
Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in Him.1
I know what it’s like to be alone.
No, I haven’t had it as bad as some, but I have felt that
awful loneliness when it seems nobody really cares.
Even now, with the
wonderful friends I have, sometimes ugly thoughts sneak in, whispering doubts
into my head.
What do I really have
to offer?
What makes me so
special?
And the most groundshaking one: The only thing good about me is Jesus…does that mean that I am worthless?
I wonder this often.
But the truth, the truth that we have a hard time
understanding, is that we are all living parts of God. The magnificence of this
is often taken for granted – I forget every day how special I am because of the
fact. It’s not just that I was this absolutely worthless piece of trash and
Jesus came in to fill me with Him and only then was I worth something. Of
course, that’s also true. Bear with me. Yes, He did come in and make me
beautiful, but it was also Him in me originally that drew Him to me, and I to
Him.
We’re all chosen, before the creation of the world, for Him.
It’s confusing, because it seems that not choosing some
people, automatically condemning some to Hell sounds atrocious; Yet 2 Peter
says, “The Lord is not slow in keeping His promise, as some understand
slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to
come to repentance.” That’s a whole other subject, though.
In John, Jesus tells His disciples, “Before long, the world
will not see me anymore, but you will see me because I live, you also will
live.”2 For in Him we live and move and have our being. 3 It’s
not that all of us is stripped away, is trash to Him.
He loves our hearts.
He loves that we love Him and that we want to worship Him and be with Him.
Thinking in terms of either perfect heaven or damnable Hell…Hmmm,
I’ll take the former. I don’t think that’s really what Hell is. In the Bible,
it’s described as a fiery furnace, everlasting torment, yadayadayada.
Here on earth, He is everywhere. But what if Hell is merely an absence of God’s presence. His light forever gone from us. That’s the real pain.
But what
if Hell is being dead and being forever apart from God.
Here on earth, He is everywhere. But what if Hell is merely an absence of God’s presence. His light forever gone from us. That’s the real pain.
Think of every good thing in your life. And know that it
came from God.
Imagine all of that good stripped away. Gone forever.
That’s Hell.
The Lord doesn’t look at the things man looks at. Man looks
at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.
Did the boy who OD’d know that? Did anyone ever tell him
that he was loved for who he was?
Did that girl who sold her body ever hear that she was
beautiful on the inside and her appearance didn’t matter?
Maybe somebody should tell them. Maybe I should be the one to put me aside and get in their
lives.
If we both did that, you and me – for real, not just saying
“yeah, that’s a good idea…” – then who knows.







Only now do I realize and really appreciate all the good in my life...I should never take my friends for granted. Thank you!
ReplyDelete