Especially Luke 12, so many places in the Bible that God implicitly says I am not forgotten.
"Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?
Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!"
Luke 12:25-31
Yes, I do have little faith. I worry all the time, about getting stuff done, about taking care of myself, about doing well in school. It's easy for me to pass up a chance to spend time with God. I mean quality time, too. Not a quick John 3:16 review, but real, personal sit-down-and-talk time. Mornings are best, or so I hear, for devotional time, but I prefer nighttime. In the morning, I'm so rushed to get the day rolling, I tend to skim through Bible-reading and the like. At night, on the other hand, I am much more at ease. Hours easily pass by as I pour over the Word. Such good secrets in there! I love Deuteronomy 29:29 ("The secret things belong to the Lord our God, but the things revealed belong to us and to our children forever, that we may follow all the words of this law.") and Ecclesiastes 3:11 ("He has made everything beautiful in its time. he has also set eternity in the hearts of men; yet they cannot fathom what God has done from beginning to end.")
Not sure why, but hearing these little hints at the bigger picture, that God is so much greater and so much more amazing and majestic than we can possibly imagine, I feel safer. Knowing that I am placing my being in the most capable - in actuality, the only capable - hands.
Still, it requires a daily commitment to pursue a relationship with God, as *James 1:22-25 literates. "But seek first His kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well-." (Luke 12:31). Putting myself completely at His mercy is relieving and not a burden. In *Matthew 11:28-29, Jesus bluntly says that our burdens aren't too much for Him. Just let it go! That's all I need to do, is let it go. Why is this so hard? Answer: Because I'm a sinner, always trying to do things on my own without asking for help. *sigh* Life isn't easy.
So maybe it isn't easy, but it sure is beautiful. I don't need an angel named Clarence to see that. Nature is teeming with exclamations of God's majesty! They're like kisses from God, coming right when we need them, to brighten up our day. When I can truly appreciate the little things that are so beautiful, then I know God is working in me, right then, at that very moment.
The rooftop is my sanctuary, this earring one of my favorites with its simple beauty.
*"Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like a man who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. But the man who looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues to do this, not forgetting what he has heard, but doing it - he will be blessed in what he does."
James 1:22-25
Fog, thick and heavy, descends on my neighborhood like a blanket.
The sun embraces the green grass...oh, so pretty!
*"Come to Me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."
Matthew 11:28-30
No comments:
Post a Comment