Dear Diary, 2 February 2012
A Good Investment
what do I invest in?
what do I invest in?
Everything I have was given to me by God. My family, my
friends, my ambitions, my dreams, my talents…if I have any. Isn’t it so amazing
that God has given me so much? I can hardly believe it sometimes. There are
moments when life seems too good to be true. I step back and think “Wow, I am
really lucky.” Well, it aint luck, it’s grace!
Nothing I have done has merited all the blessings He gives
me. Sometimes that makes me feel a little weird. I mean, why would Jesus want
to die a horrible death for me. I
literally have nothing to offer Him.
All I can do is thank Him for His amazing love and to trust
in Him. After all, He does provide everything
I need. Why shouldn’t I trust Him? Why do I still worry about wearing the right
clothes tomorrow or eating the right foods? Why do I always want more no matter
how much I have?
![]() |
| source |
I’ll admit it, I always want new clothes. I’ll get some and
be very excited for awhile, but then I’ll see a billboard with a gorgeous model
wearing a cute jacket or pair of jeans and those old “new” clothes will be far
from my mind.
![]() |
| source |
“But godliness with contentment is great gain. For we
brought nothing into the world, and we can take nothing out of it. But is we
have food and clothing, we will be content with that. People who want to get
rich fall into temptation and a trap and into many foolish and harmful desires
that plunge men into ruin and destruction. For the love of money is a root of
all kinds of evil. Some people, eager for money, have wandered from the faith
and pierced themselves with many griefs.” 1 Timothy 6:6-10
Great gain, huh? True, I can’t bring anything good into this
world, and I certainly cannot bring anything out. Those things aren’t even
important! And apparently, the lust of getting more things, or not being
satisfied, is a dangerous evil. James talks about some rich people who are a
little too haughty in chapter 4: “Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow
we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make
money.” Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life?
You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. Instead, you
ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that. As
it is, you boast and brag. All such boasting is evil. Anyone then, who knows
the good he ought to do and doesn’t do it, sins.” (James 4:13-17)
A friend of mine pointed out from this passage that “money”
isn’t the only evil. It could be time that I’m hording, that I’m obsessing
about. God knows right where to point the finger. That’s the area that I
struggle with the most. In fact, just yesterday I was freaking out because I
had spent the entire day working, making the most of my time, worrying about if
I would have enough time. Even now as I write this, I’m thinking “OK, I have to
mop the bathroom floor, put in a load of laundry, get my shoes…yadadada.” Don’t
I understand by now that God is the Great Provider? He takes care of my soul,
why shouldn’t I trust Him with the rest of my being, too? I should. Trust Him
with my money, trust Him with my time. And, most importantly, trust Him with my
heart.
Now that’s a good investment.


.jpg)



No comments:
Post a Comment