He is stronger...
"I wanna be bigger, stronger
drive a faster car..."
(Bigger, Stronger by Coldplay)
My little cousin once had shoelace untied. He fiddled with
it and struggled with it until he was frustrated. Seeing his predicament, I
went over to assist. “No,” he pushed me away. “I can do it.” We both knew he
couldn’t, but he wanted to think he could so that he could “prove” his “independence.”
That’s just how I am with God! When a problem hits me like an ocean wave, I
brace myself against it, preparing to fight the ensuing battle. Really, I’m
missing the point. As a Christian, it’s my job to step aside and allow someone
else to take the wave for me. That “someone”, of course, is Jesus. He decided
to serve me because He loves me, loves me enough to die for me. He has said things like “In this world you will have
trouble, but take heart! I have overcome the world” and “Do not let your hearts
be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in Me.”
I found something interesting in Hebrews a few weeks ago. Isn’t it
funny how a concept you thought you’d mulled over umpteen times in your head
can just suddenly hit you in a whole new way? Well, Hebrews 10: 12 says,
“But when this priest had offered
for all time one sacrifice for sins, He sat down at the right hand of God.”
The key words there are “sat down”. After dying on the
cross, Jesus sat down because His
work was fulfilled. His one sacrifice
was complete. He had come to the earth, the most lowly form the God of the
universe could assume, and served us, such useless creatures that we couldn’t
even live without the breath of God within us. And then, it was done. It is done.
Jesus didn’t die because He had nothing better to do one
Friday afternoon. He died because it was His plan to die. Because He had to do something drastic completely separate
from the way us mortals process life. King of the world, Creator of all things?
Dying on the cross? What the heck?? No one knows exactly why God chose to
glorify Himself in this manner. Of course, if we could understand it then that
would defeat the purpose somewhat, but I think part of it has to do with the
fact that our devotion would not be so personal and utterly authentic
otherwise.
Still, I push Him away. Either that, or I forget to ask for
His help. In cases like those, I’m like a person drowning in the sea within
sight of a lifeguard. I’m kicking and frantically waving my arms, but I forget
that my savior is mere meters away. All I have to do is ask.
Sometimes the lifeguard sees someone having issues and jumps
in after them without being asked. Still, sometimes a drowning person can look
at him and doubt. “Can he really save me?” This is the unspoken question in the
back of my mind. “Can God really save me?” I’ve done so many things against
Him, pushing Him away, discarding the plan He has for me, the instruction
manual of life He has given me (the Bible, in case you didn’t get that). Yet,
He really can. He’s stronger than all it, and the power of Jesus’ grace allows
me to stand blameless before Him.
Like the lifeguard, God is underestimated, too. When I look
at the stories in the Bible, like that one about Peter and John, I can’t
believe the unrestrained faith they have. Of course, they had seen Jesus
themselves. Peter had personally experienced the affect of being forgiven by
Jesus. But still, there are others without that benefit who have gone on to
accomplish miracles beyond my realm of thought.
Why can’t I just trust Him? Why must I try to do everything
on my own first, and then, once I’m
all burnt out, go to God? He has told us, “My grace is sufficient for you, for
My power is made perfect in weakness.” (1 Corinthians 12:8). His power is
great, encompassing all, holding all things together. Who am I to doubt its
validity?
“Who has a claim against Me that I must pay? Everything
under heaven belongs to me,” God laughs in Job 41:11. Later, through Isaiah, He
added, “Who has understood the mind of the Lord, or instructed Him as His counselor?
Whom did the Lord consult to enlighten Him, and who taught Him the right way?
Who was it that taught Him knowledge or showed Him the path of understanding?”
God holds me in His hands. Like Job, I am forced to admit “I
spoke of things I did not understand, things too wonderful for me to know.”
(42:3). Throughout my days, when I’m drowning or I’m living it up, I need to remember
that “The Lord is righteous in all His ways and loving towards all He has made.
The Lord is near to all who call on Him, to all who call on Him in truth.” (Ps
145:17-18)
Sources:
1
2
3
4
Sources:
1
2
3
4




:) In a slump with writing? You just wrote a heap of awesomeness there!
ReplyDeleteAnyway, this was encouraging. I find myself in the EXACT same place as you when it comes to my relationship with God-it's like when he tries to save us we're just, "Uh, no God, I got this! Really! I can do it!" HA. Yeah right. Pride is a funny thing, isn't it? But God is so gracious and satisfying, and FORGIVING :)
I identify with this sooooooooo!!!! You write so eloquently and I see someone who loves Jesus in there! Keep striving! I fail daily but we persevere!! I wanted to write something for Good Friday but in the end, in my blog post, I just kept it simple, to the words and music of others, as I felt I could not do justice! Bless you!
ReplyDeleteIt's lovely to 'meet you'! I nipped over from Leanne's blog and I am so glad I did! :-)
xx
I find myself drowning sometimes too, but it feels as if there is no lifeguard. I know he's there, though.
ReplyDeleteYou are an amazing writer! I have no idea how you can write like that.
-A